- head of state
- nounthe chief public representative of a country who may also be the head of government• Syn: ↑chief of state• Hypernyms: ↑representative• Hyponyms:↑chancellor, ↑premier, ↑prime minister, ↑Prime Minister, ↑PM, ↑president, ↑President of the United States, ↑United States President, ↑President, ↑Chief Executive, ↑sovereign, ↑crowned head, ↑monarch
* * *the person who holds the highest position in a national government: a meeting of heads of state.
* * *head of state nounThe chief representative of a country, not necessarily the head of government• • •Main Entry: ↑head
* * *the leader of a country, for example a king, queen, or presidentThesaurus: ruling and not rulinghyponym
* * *n. the chief public representative of a country, such as a president or monarch, who may also be the head of government
* * *ˌhead of ˈstate [head of state heads of state] noun (pl. heads of state)the official leader of a country who is sometimes also the leader of the government
The Queen was joined by the US President and other heads of state from around the world.Example Bank:
She was sworn in as the country's first civilian head of state in three decades.
Visiting heads of state usually stay in the palace.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.